Review of Moorfields Eye Surgery
Moorfields Eye Hospital enjoys a global reputation for providing world-class laser eye surgery.
Moorfields Private is the private arm of the renowned Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, and offers ophthalmic care to patients seeking a vast range of treatments for both common and complex eye health conditions.
Today, Moorfields has a number of clinics around London – located in the City, the West End, Bedford and Croydon – and treats around 400,000 outpatients and 30,000 inpatients each year.
☀ Pros: World-class reputation, highly experienced eye surgeons, central London locations, advanced technology
☂ Cons: No fixed prices (fixed by the surgeons), no monthly payment options, no free consultation
☝ Compare clinics: See if there are any other top-rated clinics near you, and use our simple tool to receive a personalised quote.
Our no-nonsense review of Moorfields Private and Moorfields NHS Eye Hospital covers:
- Moorfields Private Eye Hospital
- Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Moorfields laser eye surgery cost
- What laser eye surgeries are offered?
- Moorfields’ best consultants
- Moorfields laser eye surgery reviews
- The Verdict
1. Moorfields Private Eye Hospital
For patients who fail to meet NHS requirements, or for those looking for treatments left off NHS checklists (such as refractive surgery for the average glasses-wearer), Moorfields Private is a viable option.
Private laser eye treatments at Moorfields include the most common surgeries such as PRK, LASEK and LASIK, as well as specialist procedures for more complex conditions. Private patients also benefit from Wavefront guided surgeries, which tend to have higher success rates due to greater laser accuracy.
In addition to providing high quality treatment and aftercare, many patients like to know that the profits from Moorfields Private are used to fund the Moorfields Eye Charity, Friends of Moorfields, which supports critical new research and quality eye care for children and adults.
2. Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
If you happen to suffer from a select range of debilitating eye conditions that cannot be treated by contact lenses or glasses (such as cataracts or glaucoma), you may be one of the few people who qualify for laser eye surgery on the NHS.
Moorfields’ NHS Eye Hospital is there for these patients, but for the vast majority of us, Moorfields Private has its door open.
3. Moorfields Laser Eye Surgery Cost
While NHS treatment is free, at Moorfields Private prices will apply to all consultations and surgeries.
Laser eye surgery costs at Moorfields start at £2,000 per eye for common laser eye surgery such as LASIK or LASEK. These prices rise to between £3,000 and £4,000 per eye for more complex procedures including cataract surgery.
An initial consultation at Moorfields is around £150, and the private prices will depend on the eye surgeon you choose. That’s because the laser eye consultants are employed by Moorfields, and set their own fees.
- Consultation: £150 – £200
Patients considering laser eye surgery usually book one to two consultations prior to receiving treatment. You can book your first appointment on the Moorfields Private website.
Treatment costs (per eye)
- LASIK or LASEK eye surgery: £2,000 – £2,500
- Refractive lens exchange (RLE) or cataract surgery: £3,000 – £4,000
- ICL implantation surgery: £3,000 – £4,000
In addition to these costs, you may also need to consider covering your potential stay in the hospital for private treatment. Moorfields Private hospital fees tend to range from £900 to £1800, depending on the procedure.
However, recovery times vary, and many eye treatments allow you to leave following the surgery. Naturally, there are no hospital fees for NHS patients.
Moorfields Private Hospital offers some of the latest laser and implantable contact lens treatments performed by world-class consultant eye specialists, and these prices reflect the clinic’s high standards.
However, if these costs are outside your budget, or you would like to compare them with other leading laser eye surgery clinics in the UK, click here to fill in a few details, and talk directly to a trusted clinic to compare their quotes and services.
To see how other eye laser surgery clinics compare with Moorfields Private, just click here to use our simple quote tool, and receive a tailored quote from any trusted clinics near you.
Paying for treatment
Opting for laser eye surgery is a financial commitment for most people, and Moorfields offers three ways of paying for your treatment:
- Private Medical Insurance – If you are covered by private healthcare, Moorfields asks that you try to verify these details before your first appointment, and obtain your pre-authorisation number.
- Self pay – Many patients pay for their own treatment, with no private insurance needed.
- Third party sponsorship – If a third party (such as your employer) has agreed to settled your account, make sure you acquire a letter of guarantee along with a deposit.
Read more: Laser eye surgery costs explained
4. Laser Eye Surgery Treatments
Moorfields Private Eye Hospital provides over 100 vision correction treatments for adults and children of all ages.
Here are some of the most requested types of laser eye surgery treatments:
- LASIK: The most common treatment to correct eye conditions such as nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism.
- LASEK: A surface laser treatment that is suitable for patients with thinner corneas (eye surfaces).
- Cataract surgery: A refractive lens exchange (RLE), which is an option for those in the “reading glasses” age group.
- ICL surgery: Implants that work like permanent contact lenses are common for younger people, or patients with medical dry eye conditions.
Moorfields Private Hospital usually performs laser sight correction surgery to both eyes on the same day, but with cataract surgery and ICL implantation, most surgeons prefer to leave a week between operating on each eye for their patients’ comfort.
5. Moorfields’ Top Surgeons
Moorfields Private and Moorfields Eye Hospital claim their ophthalmic surgeons and consultants are some of the best in Britain, and six Moorfields Private surgeons were recently named in the Daily Mail’s top doctors list.
Within the industry, Moorfields is also the go-to for ophthalmic expertise: a recent Moorfields report shows that over half of all registered ophthalmic surgeons in the UK received their training there. Not surprisingly, many Moorfields consultants also completed their training onsite.
Plus, based on hundreds of unfiltered reviews from former patients, Moorfields hosts some of the top-rated laser eye surgeons in the UK.
Here are the five best consultants at Moorfields, as voted by you:
- Mr David Gartry: As one of the first surgeons worldwide to perform laser eye surgery, they don’t come more experienced than Mr Gartry.
- Mr Julian Stevens: Mr Stevens is an advisor to the British Society for Refractive Surgery, and is recognised globally as an expert opinion leader in laser eye surgery.
- Mr Bruce Allan: Mr Allan had been the Service Director for Refractive Surgery at Moorfields since 2012.
- Ms Valerie Saw: Ms Saw’s interests lie in inflammation and scarring of the eye, and she regularly treats patients for dry eyes and conjunctivitis.
- Mr Alexander C. W. Ionides: Since 1989, Mr Ionides has specialised in cataract and refractive lens surgery for both long and short sighted conditions.
Read more: Laser Eye Surgeon reviews
6. Independent reviews of Moorfields Private Eye Hospital
Moorfields consistently receive fantastic customer reviews, making them one of the highest rated laser eye providers in the UK. Click here to read their customer reviews below.
Moorfields Eye Hospital Private Clinic is also featured as one of Lasik Eye’s best laser eye surgery clinics in the UK, as well as shining in our list of the best laser eye surgery in London for partnering with some of the most renowned surgeons.
What makes Moorfields Eye Hospital so popular?
- History – Moorfields Eye Hospital first opened in London in 1805, and is now one of the oldest and best reviewed eye hospitals in the world.
- Ophthalmic Research – Moorfields has spent over 200 years researching and providing the latest laser eye surgery and implantable contact lens treatments, in partnership with the UCL Institute of Ophthalmology.
- Cutting-edge technology – Moorfields Private is a flagship location for laser and implant manufacturers. Its surgeons are therefore able to choose from the latest state-of-the-art laser eye equipment and non-invasive techniques like Intralase technology.
- Patient care – The Care Quality Commission (CQC) rates Moorfields Eye Hospital as ‘outstanding’ for care in their latest inspection report.
But is Moorfields Eye Hospital right for you?
Not everyone is best suited to Moorfields: as you would expect, world-class laser eye surgery often comes with an eye-watering price tag.
- Expensive treatments – Although patients tend to leave rave reviews, LASEK eye surgery costs on average £2,235 per eye at Moorfields Private, but between £595 and £1,595 per eye at other leading high street eye clinics such as Optical Express.
- No free consultations – Moorfields Private is one of the few laser eye clinics in the UK not to offer free initial consultations: you can expect to pay between £150 and £200, depending on the surgeon you see.
Next Steps: Find the Top-Reviewed Clinic Near You
Compare Moorfields Private with the highest independently reviewed eye laser clinics near you – see if you’re eligible for 20/20 vision or your money back, and receive your very own personalised quote.
Our mission at Lasik Eyes is to make it easy to choose the right clinic for your ophthalmic treatment, pop in for a free consultation, and talk through your options with an eye expert. Here’s how:
Next steps: Our simple tool helps our readers every day get one step closer to 20/20 vision:
- Find a top clinic near you: Answer three questions to be matched with the leading eye clinic in your area
- Check you’re eligible in minutes: Receive a quick call to check you can get surgery (we will never share your number with anyone else)
- Receive a tailored quote: Talk to an expert at a clinic you can trust for a free eye test (worth £800) and personalised quote (with no obligation)
Moorfields Surgeons Reviews
Mr Alexander C W Ionides
BSc FRCOphth MD.
Mr Vincenzo Maurino
Mr Bruce Allan
MD FRCS FRCOphth
Mr Stephen Tuft
Professor David S Gartry
MD, FRCS, FRCOphth, DO, BSc(Hons)
Mr Julian Stevens
MRCP, FRCS, FRCOphth,DO
Moorfields Eye Hosptial Reviews
I am very pleased and happy with the depth of great care and results that I have received following my laser eye procedure with Mr Stevens. I recommend him highly. From the moment of my initial consultation up until post operative care I have never felt so reassured and happy with a medical procedure. He is a meticulous, gifted and talented ophthalmic surgeon who I felt very reassured by throughout. His wonderful team of administrative staff and nurses made all of my experience so positive.
Mr Stevens and his team are very reassuring and knowledgeable. I can’t be happier with the outcome after cataract removal and varifocal lens implants. All questions answered professionally. Now the world is clear and bright. Many thanks.
I highly recommend Julian Stevens’ team at Moorfields Private and the nurses at Moorfields (NHS) Eye Hospital. Julian’s PA, Janet, along with many of his specialist optometrists and technicians, have worked with him for many years and they provide a first-class service in initial consultation and investigation, treatment and aftercare. It is a truly personalised service. I never felt rushed or pressurised. You receive advice from the consultant tailored to your unique eyes after many hours of detailed tests and scans and you are then free to make your own decision, knowing the options and risks. When I was first diagnosed with rapidly advancing cataracts in both eyes by my optician just over a year ago and was told that no glasses or contact lens solution was possible (after 8 years of wearing a +1D contact lens for reading and near perfect distance vision), I had no hesitation in asking for a referral to Moorfields. Eyes are all they do and they have a worldwide reputation. I researched my options about different procedures, lenses, surgeons etc. and quickly learned that the skill and expertise of the surgeon is the most important factor in the outcome of eye surgery. I knew I had to choose the best surgeon for my eyes as it was not cosmetic surgery; it was necessary surgery on unhealthy eyes which seriously affected my quality of life. I had cataract eye surgery completed by Julian Stevens at Moorfields on both my eyes about 4 months ago and am absolutely thrilled with the results. My new multifocal lenses are balancing extremely well and I now have perfect vision. Julian is supremely talented, highly professional, charismatic and reassuring. He explains things clearly and comprehensively and leaves you feeling that you are in the safest possible hands. His team, along with the nurses at Moorfields Eye Hospital, provided exceptional service and care from start to finish. The hospital was clean, well-signed and managed and it was a pleasure to receive treatment there. I received a follow-up text from Julian’s PA the day after surgery to point out what was expected, asking how I was and whether the effect on my eyes matched expectations. I was also able to download a fabulous App called ‘CleverDrops’, designed by Julian himself, on which my detailed eye drops regime (quite intense for a few days after surgery) was recorded and which sent me reminders on my mobile phone about when to administer my antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drops! A brilliant idea, saving so much time and effort.
I had worn glasses/contact lenses since my teens and required cataract surgery in both eyes in my early fifties which left my eyesight rather better than it had been for thirty years, but not good enough to live without glasses and with a significant astigmatism. I therefore decided to go to Moorfields for refractive laser surgery; opting for monovision with the aim of avoiding the need for glasses at all. The whole process at Moorfields was simple and efficient and all the staff were friendly and helpful. I went ahead with the surgery (IntraLASIK) and have been delighted with the results. With my right eye (corrected for distance) I can now read the smallest line in the chart! With my left eye (corrected for reading) I’m able to read the smallest print on the test page. I can also read a computer screen easily. No issues with the different focus between the eyes, with almost perfect vision from 60cm to infinity (slight, hardly noticeable, soft focus at about 1.5m where neither eye is perfectly in focus). Immediately after the surgery I experienced a halo around lights at night, but after 3 months this has gone completely. Occasionally my eyes are a little dry, but better than when I was wearing contact lenses previously. All in all a great outcome and no more glasses!
I am very pleased with the results of my cataract surgery. It has made a huge difference to my quality of life. Julian and his team are fantastic – professional, efficient and caring. Every step of the way, everyone was up to date on my case and fully engaged with my care and addressed any questions or concerns I had. I highly recommend their services.
Julian Stevens has enabled me to see. I had bilateral lens implants done in October 2017
The result is nothing short of miraculous, having used glasses and contact lens from the age of 13. I use over the counter spectacles for small print, otherwise I can see everything it’s amazing.
I am full of gratitude to Julian and everyone I encountered at
Moorefields private eye clinic and hospital, a lovely caring competent bunch of highly skilled people.
If you are considering having this procedure or another eye procedure done, look no further -book a consultation with Julian Stevens, I highly recommend him, for me it’s been life changing.
With Mr Stevens at Moorfields you are in great hands, he is the best in his field and really cares about his patients. I had LASEK after Mr Stevens explained that this procedure would be best suited to me. He answered any questions that I had and made me feel confident with my decision. I had LASEK in March of 2017 and I now have better than 20/20 vision. The procedure was painless ,the aftercare was amazing! Couldn’t recommend Mr Stevens and his team more!
For years I thought that if ever a genie popped out of a bottle to grant me one wish, I would wish for perfect vision.
Well, it turns out that Mr Julian Stevens is my genie!
Pre op: I had very bad eyesight and wore varifocal glasses all the time.
Post op: My vision is not quite perfect, but its not far off!
I was told that, if successful. I could, reasonably, expect to have good long sight, but would probably need weak glasses for reading and computer work. Well, as its turned out I’m not wearing glasses at all! Yippee!
Its now one month since I had the procedures, and Dr Stevens has told me that my vision should continue to improve. Wow!
I cannot say how happy I am and grateful to Dr Stevens and his team.
I would urge anybody, who is considering treatment for their eyes, to contact the clinic and arrange an assessment.
My thanks to all at Moorfields.
I had Hypermetropic LASIK in April 2012, followed by a Flap Lift Refinement in January 2017; both procedures were carried out by Professor Gartry. I found on both occasions that a good range of appointments were available, the staff were very helpful, efficient and knowledgeable and the aftercare was excellent. As for Professor Gartry, well I cannot recommend him highly enough. He is an extremely gifted and talented surgeon, who is always very thorough, explains everything clearly and gives as much time as you need. After years of failing eyesight and eventually needing glasses all of the time, I now have 20:20 vision in both eyes and only need a mild prescription for reading glasses – all thanks to Professor Gartry and his amazing team. The difference to the quality of my life has been enormous and I am very grateful. What an incredible talent Professor Gartry has!
Surgery was completely painless. Felt slightly apprehensive before the operation but the staff at the hospital were fantastic. Recovery time was much quicker than I thought. Would recommend Mr Wilkins to anyone.