Review of Moorfields Eye Surgery
Moorfields Eye Hospital enjoys a global reputation for providing world-class laser eye surgery.
Moorfields Private is the private arm of the renowned Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, and offers ophthalmic care to patients seeking a vast range of treatments for both common and complex eye health conditions.
Today, Moorfields has a number of clinics around London – located in the City, the West End, Bedford and Croydon – and treats around 400,000 outpatients and 30,000 inpatients each year.
☀ Pros: World-class reputation, highly experienced eye surgeons, central London locations, advanced technology
☂ Cons: No fixed prices (fixed by the surgeons), no monthly payment options, no free consultation
☝ Compare clinics: See if there are any other top-rated clinics near you, and use our simple tool to receive a personalised quote.
Our no-nonsense review of Moorfields Private and Moorfields NHS Eye Hospital covers:
- Moorfields Private Eye Hospital
- Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Moorfields laser eye surgery cost
- What laser eye surgeries are offered?
- Moorfields’ best consultants
- Moorfields laser eye surgery reviews
- The Verdict
1. Moorfields Private Eye Hospital
For patients who fail to meet NHS requirements, or for those looking for treatments left off NHS checklists (such as refractive surgery for the average glasses-wearer), Moorfields Private is a viable option.
Private laser eye treatments at Moorfields include the most common surgeries such as PRK, LASEK and LASIK, as well as specialist procedures for more complex conditions. Private patients also benefit from Wavefront guided surgeries, which tend to have higher success rates due to greater laser accuracy.
In addition to providing high quality treatment and aftercare, many patients like to know that the profits from Moorfields Private are used to fund the Moorfields Eye Charity, Friends of Moorfields, which supports critical new research and quality eye care for children and adults.
2. Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
If you happen to suffer from a select range of debilitating eye conditions that cannot be treated by contact lenses or glasses (such as cataracts or glaucoma), you may be one of the few people who qualify for laser eye surgery on the NHS.
Moorfields’ NHS Eye Hospital is there for these patients, but for the vast majority of us, Moorfields Private has its door open.
3. Moorfields Laser Eye Surgery Cost
While NHS treatment is free, at Moorfields Private prices will apply to all consultations and surgeries.
Laser eye surgery costs at Moorfields start at £2,000 per eye for common laser eye surgery such as LASIK or LASEK. These prices rise to between £3,000 and £4,000 per eye for more complex procedures including cataract surgery.
An initial consultation at Moorfields is around £150, and the private prices will depend on the eye surgeon you choose. That’s because the laser eye consultants are employed by Moorfields, and set their own fees.
- Consultation: £150 – £200
Patients considering laser eye surgery usually book one to two consultations prior to receiving treatment. You can book your first appointment on the Moorfields Private website.
Treatment costs (per eye)
- LASIK or LASEK eye surgery: £2,000 – £2,500
- Refractive lens exchange (RLE) or cataract surgery: £3,000 – £4,000
- ICL implantation surgery: £3,000 – £4,000
In addition to these costs, you may also need to consider covering your potential stay in the hospital for private treatment. Moorfields Private hospital fees tend to range from £900 to £1800, depending on the procedure.
However, recovery times vary, and many eye treatments allow you to leave following the surgery. Naturally, there are no hospital fees for NHS patients.
Moorfields Private Hospital offers some of the latest laser and implantable contact lens treatments performed by world-class consultant eye specialists, and these prices reflect the clinic’s high standards.
However, if these costs are outside your budget, or you would like to compare them with other leading laser eye surgery clinics in the UK, click here to fill in a few details, and talk directly to a trusted clinic to compare their quotes and services.
To see how other eye laser surgery clinics compare with Moorfields Private, just click here to use our simple quote tool, and receive a tailored quote from any trusted clinics near you.
Paying for treatment
Opting for laser eye surgery is a financial commitment for most people, and Moorfields offers three ways of paying for your treatment:
- Private Medical Insurance – If you are covered by private healthcare, Moorfields asks that you try to verify these details before your first appointment, and obtain your pre-authorisation number.
- Self pay – Many patients pay for their own treatment, with no private insurance needed.
- Third party sponsorship – If a third party (such as your employer) has agreed to settled your account, make sure you acquire a letter of guarantee along with a deposit.
Read more: Laser eye surgery costs explained
4. Laser Eye Surgery Treatments
Moorfields Private Eye Hospital provides over 100 vision correction treatments for adults and children of all ages.
Here are some of the most requested types of laser eye surgery treatments:
- LASIK: The most common treatment to correct eye conditions such as nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism.
- LASEK: A surface laser treatment that is suitable for patients with thinner corneas (eye surfaces).
- Cataract surgery: A refractive lens exchange (RLE), which is an option for those in the “reading glasses” age group.
- ICL surgery: Implants that work like permanent contact lenses are common for younger people, or patients with medical dry eye conditions.
Moorfields Private Hospital usually performs laser sight correction surgery to both eyes on the same day, but with cataract surgery and ICL implantation, most surgeons prefer to leave a week between operating on each eye for their patients’ comfort.
5. Moorfields’ Top Surgeons
Moorfields Private and Moorfields Eye Hospital claim their ophthalmic surgeons and consultants are some of the best in Britain, and six Moorfields Private surgeons were recently named in the Daily Mail’s top doctors list.
Within the industry, Moorfields is also the go-to for ophthalmic expertise: a recent Moorfields report shows that over half of all registered ophthalmic surgeons in the UK received their training there. Not surprisingly, many Moorfields consultants also completed their training onsite.
Plus, based on hundreds of unfiltered reviews from former patients, Moorfields hosts some of the top-rated laser eye surgeons in the UK.
Here are the five best consultants at Moorfields, as voted by you:
- Mr David Gartry: As one of the first surgeons worldwide to perform laser eye surgery, they don’t come more experienced than Mr Gartry.
- Mr Julian Stevens: Mr Stevens is an advisor to the British Society for Refractive Surgery, and is recognised globally as an expert opinion leader in laser eye surgery.
- Mr Bruce Allan: Mr Allan had been the Service Director for Refractive Surgery at Moorfields since 2012.
- Ms Valerie Saw: Ms Saw’s interests lie in inflammation and scarring of the eye, and she regularly treats patients for dry eyes and conjunctivitis.
- Mr Alexander C. W. Ionides: Since 1989, Mr Ionides has specialised in cataract and refractive lens surgery for both long and short sighted conditions.
Read more: Laser Eye Surgeon reviews
6. Independent reviews of Moorfields Private Eye Hospital
Moorfields consistently receive fantastic customer reviews, making them one of the highest rated laser eye providers in the UK. Click here to read their customer reviews below.
Moorfields Eye Hospital Private Clinic is also featured as one of Lasik Eye’s best laser eye surgery clinics in the UK, as well as shining in our list of the best laser eye surgery in London for partnering with some of the most renowned surgeons.
What makes Moorfields Eye Hospital so popular?
- History – Moorfields Eye Hospital first opened in London in 1805, and is now one of the oldest and best reviewed eye hospitals in the world.
- Ophthalmic Research – Moorfields has spent over 200 years researching and providing the latest laser eye surgery and implantable contact lens treatments, in partnership with the UCL Institute of Ophthalmology.
- Cutting-edge technology – Moorfields Private is a flagship location for laser and implant manufacturers. Its surgeons are therefore able to choose from the latest state-of-the-art laser eye equipment and non-invasive techniques like Intralase technology.
- Patient care – The Care Quality Commission (CQC) rates Moorfields Eye Hospital as ‘outstanding’ for care in their latest inspection report.
But is Moorfields Eye Hospital right for you?
Not everyone is best suited to Moorfields: as you would expect, world-class laser eye surgery often comes with an eye-watering price tag.
- Expensive treatments – Although patients tend to leave rave reviews, LASEK eye surgery costs on average £2,235 per eye at Moorfields Private, but between £595 and £1,595 per eye at other leading high street eye clinics such as Optical Express.
- No free consultations – Moorfields Private is one of the few laser eye clinics in the UK not to offer free initial consultations: you can expect to pay between £150 and £200, depending on the surgeon you see.
Next Steps: Find the Top-Reviewed Clinic Near You
Compare Moorfields Private with the highest independently reviewed eye laser clinics near you – see if you’re eligible for 20/20 vision or your money back, and receive your very own personalised quote.
Our mission at Lasik Eyes is to make it easy to choose the right clinic for your ophthalmic treatment, pop in for a free consultation, and talk through your options with an eye expert. Here’s how:
Next steps: Our simple tool helps our readers every day get one step closer to 20/20 vision:
- Find a top clinic near you: Answer three questions to be matched with the leading eye clinic in your area
- Check you’re eligible in minutes: Receive a quick call to check you can get surgery (we will never share your number with anyone else)
- Receive a tailored quote: Talk to an expert at a clinic you can trust for a free eye test (worth £800) and personalised quote (with no obligation)
Moorfields Surgeons Reviews
Mr Alexander C W Ionides
BSc FRCOphth MD.
Mr Vincenzo Maurino
Mr Bruce Allan
MD FRCS FRCOphth
Mr Stephen Tuft
Professor David S Gartry
MD, FRCS, FRCOphth, DO, BSc(Hons)
Mr Julian Stevens
MRCP, FRCS, FRCOphth,DO
Moorfields Eye Hosptial Reviews
Excellent treatment – care- advice.
Will definitely recommend to anyone
It was an extremely hard decision to make but one that I don’t regret. My myopia is considered low –3.5 in each eye, so was surgery a risk I should take? Could I be blind? Would I die? Would it hurt forever? After hearing and seeing adverts for LASIK I went for a consultation with another clinic. They said it was possible to treat me, however because I have larger pupils I may have halos/glare. I also did not meet the surgeon that was going to treat me This was what put me off. Later I read an article on the new wavefront (improved lasik) technology, it was more accurate as it overrides the problem that a larger pupil can give. Mr Julian Stevens was highly recommended by a friend of a friend who is a doctor. So I phoned them up and they told me that wavefront technology was standard. I booked an appointment (long waiting list) and met Mr Stevens. Normally I take a long time to decide anything, but I booked the treatment date straight away. He answered all my questions clearly and patiently (trust me I ask a lot of questions). Not only was Mr Stevens nice and helpful but also his staff, who answered any queries I had. I went to see my doctor and my optician and they both said that there was nowhere better than Moorfields. So three days ago (8th August) I went to Moorfields for the operation. I took a long look at my beautiful bulldog just in case I would never be able to see him again (due to my vanity) and went to the hospital. I was so nervous and my body was stiff. The operation was painless, everything was a bit of a blur but my mind was conscious of what was going on. I was so scared. The treatment went by fairly quickly. Then everything was a bit blurry, by the time I walked out of the hospital I could see most things quite clearly. On the journey home my teeth were hurting, due to me gritting them too much! Now I don’t know what all that worry is for. I feel so good I don’t have to fiddle around with contact lenses. Mr Stevens is a truly excellent and professional surgeon and the fee for the surgery was very reasonable - even less than some places that don’t even use wavefront. I can’t wait to scuba dive without my contact lenses and I can see my dog without finding my glasses in the morning!
I had Wavefront laser surgery with Mr Gartry in Sept 03. Prior to surgery my prescription was -4.5/-4.75. The first week after surgery my eyesight was almost perfect. However, 2-3 months later it had deteriorated to -1.5/-1.75, so I was rather disappointed. I was told this was extremely unusual. Six months after the first operation, I had re-treatment surgery in Feb 04, again with Mr Gartry and this time just 'Lasik', not 'Wavefront'. 10 months later, my vision is fine, so if anyone has this experience, I would say go ahead and have it done a 2nd time - it worked for me.
Expensive but wanted to go to Moorfields as they have very experienced surgeons and the latest technology. My opinion is you only have one pair of eyes. Some bits of the hospital are a bit shabby but don`t let that put you off - it is clear that Mr Maurino is experienced and has top equipment, even if the walls could do with a paint and the furniture updated. I was astigmatic in both eyes and about -3 ish in each eye. Operated on by Mr Vincenzo Maurino in mid Dec 2008. One month later eyes are slightly dry on occasion but vision pretty much 20-20. Saw Mr M last week and he said this will keep improving weekly - I agree as they are getting better as time ticks by. Fantastic result and bizarre to keep going to take glasses off (having worn them for 21 years) and they are not there. Operation is not fun but relatively quick and only real discomfort/soreness was the first evening where it feels like you have grit in your eyes for a few hours. Eyes seem to be getting better daily now - at night initially halos were quite bad around lights but as my eyes heal this improved for me. Mr M is experienced and I felt professional and looked after me well, as did the nurses who were kind. My right eye did take a week or so to be able to see sharply but I would now say it is better than the left. My advise is don`t panic if everything is not perfect on your first day after surgery. After all, any operation takes time to heal. Overall - delighted.
My treatment was truly life-changing. As the weeks and months go on my sight is improving all the time. I only suffered from a 'haze-effect' or 'light-scatter' at night in the first few weeks after my treatment (which is normal) and now I have no problems. I don't even suffer from dry eyes, which as a contacts wearer before, was always an issue. Nothing can prepare you for that wonderful moment when you wake up the day after your surgery and you can see for the first time, without scrambling for your glasses. If you are considering surgery then I'm sure you've done a lot of research and I can wholeheartedly encourage you to go ahead with it. I was so nervous on the day of my surgery but Mr Allan put me at ease and calmly talked me through the whole procedure. He was fantastic. Now, three months on I have 20:20 vision and I'm still banging on to anyone who'll listen about how amazing it was to have laser eye surgery. If you follow the rules, and are religious about administering your drops after surgery you'll have a speedy recovery. I can't thanks Mr Allan enough.
Excellent service and results. Would highly recommend.
As most people would be when thinking about having eye surgery, I was really worried about side effects. however, MS Saw put all my worries to rest while at the same time being very informative and professional. My visits to the clinic were enjoyable and the people who worked there were really friendly. I had a great outcome with my surgery and would recommend Ms Saw to anybody.
I could not be any happier since having my laser eye surgery. From being extremely reliant on my contact lenses for 14 hours a day, I now have better than 20/20 vision.
The care I received was beyond excellent, both before and after the treatment.
I have just had my first appointment with Dr Gartry and I have now booked myself in to have the LASIK procedure in a couple of weeks. It has taken rather a long time to summon the up the courage to walk through the door for the intital consultation but Dr Garty was honest, and extremely reassuring. I now feel confident about the operation and I can't wait to throw away my lenses.
I have just had my 3 month check and I have better than 20/20 vision. I was very nervous initially but looked into lasik for over a year before deciding to have it done. Moorfields was my only choice, I felt that I would be in the best hands and that gave me confidence. My surgeon was Mr Stevens and he was confident that this operation would give me good results. I never felt I was pushed into a decision and I went away and thought about it for some time. The operation itself is a weird experience but I was able to see well immediately and read number plates and signs on the way home, much to the amusement of my husband. My eyes were quite dry for a couple of months but I made sure I drank plenty of water, blinked a lot and used the drops when necessary. I would recommend Moorfields and I am so pleased that I finally plucked up the courage and had it done.