Dr Paul Cherry’s responses to Ultralase’s Surgeon Questionaire:
1. How long have you worked for Ultralase?
Since they opened in 1991.
2. When did you qualify as a refractive surgeon?
I started doing refractive surgery (Radial Keratotomy) in 1988, and I’ve been doing laser eye surgery since I joined Ultralase in May 1991.
3. How many eye surgery procedures have you carried out?
In total, around 50,000. As far as laser eye surgery procedures are concerned, the figure is getting on for 13,000.
4. Which Ultralase clinics do you work in?
Maidstone, Guildford and Hammersmith.
5. Have you had vision correction yourself?
I don’t need glasses.
6. Have you treated any of your family, friends or colleagues?
Yes, I’ve treated several Ultralase colleagues, two optometrists at the Cardiff clinic, my dentist and his dental partner’s daughter.
7. Which treatments do you specialise in?
LASEK and LASIK laser eye surgery and PTK (a therapeutic treatment for a number of eye conditions).
8. Which qualifications do you hold?
MBBS, LRCP, FRCSEd, FRCS, FRCSC, FRCOphth.
9. Where did you study?
- St Mary’s Hospital (medical school) – London, UK
- Oklahoma University (medical internship and ophthalmology residency) – Oklahoma City, USA
- Harvard University (ophthalmology course) – Boston, USA
- John’s Hopkins Hospital (ophthalmology residency) – Baltimore, USA
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons course – Edinburgh, Scotland
- Moorfields Hospital (corneal fellowship) – London, UK
- University of Toronto Ophthalmology Dept (cornea fellowship) – Toronto, Canada
10. Have you ever published any articles or presented research papers on eye surgery?
I’ve published over 50 articles and presented over 60 papers at conferences and meetings across Canada, USA, UK and Europe.
11. What are you’re hobbies and interests?
Family, church, one particular championship football team!
12. How would you describe yourself in 5 words?
I’ll let others do that!
☝ To find a top-rated laser eye surgery clinic near you, just click here to use our simple quote tool, and receive a tailored match and quote from a clinic you can trust.
I had a very strong prescription and had been wearing glasses and contact lenses for years. I had surgery done in December 2007 and absolutely thrilled with the results as I now have 20/20 vision.Dr. Cherry was absolutely brilliant and guided me through the procedure from start to finish.I would definitely recommended to anyone thinking about having laser done.