Janette van Soelen grew up in South Africa. She graduated with a Bachelor Degree in Science (with Dietetics) B.Sc. in 1977 and a Bachelor in Medicine and Bachelor in Surgery degree MB ChB (Stell) in 1983 from the University of Stellenbosch.
She obtained a Diploma in Anaesthesiology DA (SA) in 1987 and a Diploma in Child Health D.CH (SA) in 1988. She started her career in Ophthalmology in 1989. She became a full-time resident at Groote Schuur Hospital in Cape Town in February 1993, completing post-graduate training in the Department of Ophthalmology at Groote Schuur Hospital in January 1997.
She obtained the Fellowship from the College of Surgeons (Ophthalmology) of South Africa [FCS Ophth (SA)] in April 1996 She came to the UK in 1997 for a 12-month Medical Retina fellowship training at Moorfields Eye hospital in London, where after she took up a position as Consultant Ophthalmologist and Lecturer at Tygerberg Hospital and the Medical School of the University of Stellenbosch in Cape Town, South Africa for one year before relocating permanently to the UK in June 1999, starting work in the Department of Medical Retina and Oncology at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London. In 2002-2003 she took leave from the position at Moorfields Eye Hospital to do another 12-month fellowship in Medical Retina at St Paul’s Eye Unit in Liverpool. During her training and since qualifying she gained extensive experience in YAG- and argon laser as well as photodynamic laser therapy of posterior segment conditions of the eye.
At the same time she performed around 600 phaco-emulsification, extra-capsular-, intracapsular- and pediatric cataract extractions. During her Medical Retina fellowship training in 2003 in Liverpool she performed 200 LASEK procedures, before returning to London to her position as Associate Specialist in Medical Retina at Moorfields Eye Hospital. Miss van Soelen is on the Specialist Register of the General Medical Council (GMC) in the UK.
Twice every year, Miss Van Soelen attends International Medical Advisory Board (IMAB) Conferences and is annually assessed by this board. The panel consists of several of the world’s most eminent Refractive Surgeons including Mr. Steve Schallhorn, former Head of Ophthalmology for the US Navy, Dr. Jan Venter, a world leading Ophthalmic Surgeon, and Mr. Jeffery Machat, co-founder of TLC Vision, one of the largest laser vision correction providers in the world.
* Member of the British Society of Refractive Surgeons
* Member of the International Society for Refractive Surgeons/International Member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
* Member of the European Society for Cataract- and Refractive Surgeons
* Member of the European Association for Vision and Eye Reserach
* Associate Member of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists, UK
* Member of the Oxford Ophthalmological Congress, UK
* Member of the Medical Retina Group, UK
* Member of the British Medical Association
* Member of the Faculty of Ophthalmology of the College of Medicine of South Africa
* Diplomate of the Faculty of Anesthesiology of the College of Medicine of South Africa
* Diplomate of the Faculty of Pediatrics of the College of Medicine of South Africa