Mr Backhouse has been a consultant at the Yorkshire Eye Hospital since it opened in January 2003.
Mr Backhouse feels that the hospital 'represents a unique centre of excellence and give additional resources in a climate where demand for services currently far outstrips capacity.'
Mr Backhouse has worked as a Consultant Ophthalmologist at Leeds since 2002. He has special interests in neuro-ophthalmology, uveitis and refractive surgery and is very actively involved in MOSS (Madagascan Organisation for Saving Sight), a charity which he founded in 1993. Mr Backhouse is also a member of the 'Yorkshire World Blindness 2020 group' which helps ‘eye programmes' in developing countries.
When not at work, Mr Backhouse spends time with his family and enjoys playing tennis and squash.
Mr Backhouse has held a substantive post at Leeds General Infirmary since 2002. He is also a member of the following:
* UK and European Refractive Surgery Society
* North American Neuro-Ophthalmological Society (NANOS)
* European Neuro-Ophthalmological Society (EUNOS)
* International Uveitis Society
* British Uveitis Group and UK Bechets Forum
* Worshipful Society of Apothecaries
* North of England Ophthalmological Society
- Qualification : BSc, MB BS, FRCOphth
Mr Oliver Backhouse BSc, MB BS, FRCOphth
Yorkshire Eye Hospital
Phone : 0845 456 1729
937 Harrogate Road
Area : Bradford